Shipping and Delivery
The Century House strives to ship items in the most efficient manner. Often this means that furniture items will ship direct from our manufacturers to you via FedEx or UPS. Other items will ship to you from our store. Therefore, if you order multiple items, they may ship at different times using different shipping methods. This helps to reduce the shipping costs extended to you and ensures you will receive your purchases as soon as possible. If you have questions at any point regarding the shipping of your order, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Please Note: All shipping quotations are for the 48 contiguous United States only. For shipping outside of this area, please contact us regarding availability and shipping costs.
When will my order ship?
**Please be aware that the current situation is increasingly causing production and shipping delays due to COVID-19 – We strive to keep you informed of any delays and continue to be available if you have any questions. Be Well.
We search the world to bring you the best assortment of products. Depending on what you order, your item might be sitting on a shelf just around the corner or be custom-made for you overseas. These factors impact the lead time required to prepare your order for shipment. We will give you as much information as possible every step of the way during your order process and while you
wait for your order to arrive.
- Products that are in stock ship within 1-2 business days. For items not in stock, an order time will be displayed on the product page. The time frame listed does not include transit time, which typically ranges from 2 to 10 business days.
- If you require a faster shipping method, please contact us for a quote.
- After your order is placed, we will send you an email confirming the estimated ship date. For accessory orders that are in stock, we will email you with tracking information within 1-2 business days.
- Please note that for some orders, items may ship separately. We will let you know how many deliveries to expect when you place your order.
- When your order ships, we will email you with specific carrier and tracking information whenever possible.
How will my order ship?
We will ship your order in the fastest and most reliable way possible. For furniture orders, please make note of the shipping method selected for each product and read the information below to prepare for the delivery of your furniture. If you have questions at any time, please contact us.
Accessories & Small Furniture Items
- Small parcel items ship via UPS, FedEx or USPS Priority Mail and generally take 2-7 business days to arrive. A signature is not required at delivery in most cases. We will email you when your order is ready to ship and provide specific carrier and tracking information.
Furniture & Other Large Items
- Standard Shipping: With this self-service delivery option, items ship via truck with curbside service and generally take 1-2 weeks to arrive. You will be required to bring the packages from the curbside into your home and assemble the product if necessary. For heavy or large items, please be sure to ask a friend, family member or neighbor to help you at the delivery. The shipping company will contact you a day or two in advance to arrange a window of time for delivery. Deliveries take place Monday – Friday during business hours. A signature is required at delivery.
- Threshold or Inside Delivery: The delivery driver will bring the furniture just inside the most accessible entrance of your home. This might be your garage or your front door. You are required to unpackage the item(s) and assemble the product if necessary. The delivery driver will not place the furniture in your home. The shipping company will contact you a day or two in advance to arrange a window of time for delivery. Deliveries take place Monday-Friday during business hours. A signature is required at delivery.
- White Glove Delivery: This is a full service delivery, which includes the placement of furniture in your room of choice, assembly of furniture and the removal of packaging. White Glove Delivery service is not available for all furniture items. You will be contacted in advance to schedule a window of time for delivery. Deliveries take place Monday-Friday during business hours. A signature is required at delivery.
Please Note: Although all methods of shipping are not listed for each product on our website, please contact us if you require a different level of service than what appears available. We will work with you to provide the level of service you desire whenever possible. Additional charges may apply.
Local White Glove Delivery Services
At The Century House, we offer the highest quality delivery services to our local customers. Customers in the greater Madison, WI area have the benefit of our own team carefully delivering their fully assembled furniture and placing it right in their home. We schedule an appointment time so you don’t have to waste any time waiting around. Our team has years of experience and vast knowledge of the products we sell.
Although local delivery may not be listed as an option when ordering furniture items on our website, we will contact local customers to offer this service whenever possible. In some cases, our local white glove delivery services are less expensive than the shipping cost provided for that item. We will always offer you the highest quality and most affordable delivery options. For local customers, that means we will reduce or eliminate the shipping costs on your order whenever possible.
Please contact us if you have questions about the availability or cost of our local white glove delivery services. For some orders, we may offer this service outside of the greater Madison area.
How much does shipping cost?
We offer free shipping on accessory orders of $80 and above. For accessory orders under $80, we charge an $8 flat fee for shipping. Free shipping is available for some accessory items. “Free shipping” will be noted on the product page and in the cart for those items.
Furniture & Large Items
We offer free shipping on as many furniture items as possible. For items that have a cost for shipping, the cost and shipping options will appear in your shopping cart. Shipping costs vary depending on the item and the level of service. Please contact us if the shipping service you desire is not listed as an option or if you have questions regarding shipping for any item on our website.
At this time, we ship only to addresses within the contiguous 48 United States.
What if my order arrives damaged?
If by some chance, your item was damaged during transit, please contact us as soon as possible. Please keep the damaged item and all packaging until the issue is resolved. We will ask you to send pictures of the damaged products and related packaging. In some cases, you may need to send the damaged product back to us. We will work with you and the shipping company to resolve the issue as quickly and efficiently as possible. Solutions may involve replacing the damaged part of the item, full replacement or repair.
For large items, such as furniture, it is critical that you inspect your order upon delivery. Orders delivered via a freight carrier specifically must be inspected upon delivery of the item. Please note any damage of packaging or merchandise on the paperwork. Please also take pictures of any damage to packaging or merchandise. Contact us immediately if you find any issues.
Credit Card Payments
When you place an order, the total order amount is applied to your credit card as an authorized charge. This simply means that the funds are being held on your card for a small amount of time. For in stock items, we will process the charges on your credit card when your order is ready to ship. For special order items, we will typically process the charges when we have confirmed the availability and lead time of your order.
Paying with Gift Cards from The Century House
To pay with one of our gift cards on our website, simply enter your gift card number when prompted during the checkout process. You will also be required to enter credit card information, even if the gift card is enough to cover the entire cost of your order. The full amount of the order will be applied to your credit card only as an authorized charged, meaning the funds are being held on your card for a short amount of time.
Within 1-2 business days, we will confirm the amount available on your gift card and process the remainder (order total minus gift card total) to your credit card. If the gift card covers the entire cost of the order, then we will email you with the balance of your gift card and your credit card will not be charged.
Returns & Cancellations
When we receive your order, we get to work on it right away. This means that once we receive your order, changes and cancellations are not always possible. If you need to cancel or change your order, please contact us right away.
Please keep in mind that once an order has shipped, it cannot be canceled. If you refuse an order, it will then fall under our refused shipment policy, where round-trip shipping costs will be deducted from your refund. Please note that representations of colors, woods, fabrics, leathers or textiles online may differ from screen to screen and may differ from the actual. If needed request a sample.
We have an easy 30 day return policy for small accessory items. For larger items, such as furniture and lighting, we do not accept returns. We are happy to work closely with you to help ensure you will be thrilled with the products you receive. And if the item is defective or damaged when you receive it, we will gladly replace or repair it at our cost. Please read “What if my order arrives damaged?” under our policies to learn more about how to handle these types of situations.
How do I return an item?
To return an small accessory, simply send it back to us using your preferred shipping method. If you are unsure whether or not your order is eligible for return, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When sending us a return, please include your Order # in or on the package in an obvious location. You are responsible for shipping the item back to us in a way that ensures the merchandise will not be damaged in transit. You can also send an email to email@example.com so we know to expect your package.
Please include “Attn: Return Dept.” on the package and ship it to this address:
The Century House
3029 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53705
Refunds & Policies for Returned Items
Items must be unused, in their original condition, and in their original packaging. If we receive a returned item that shows signs of wear or use, a restocking fee will apply.
- The return must be within 30 days of receiving the item.
- Once we receive your return, please allow 1-2 weeks for processing. Refunds are made in the
same form as the original payment or by store credit. If your returned product is in its
original condition and packaging, you will be refunded the full purchase price of the item less any shipping costs incurred by us.
- If the return is not due to damaged merchandise, you are responsible for shipping the returned
item to us.
Items that cannot be returned
- Special Order items
- Furniture and Lighting
- Bedding, Pillows and Mattresses
- Gift cards are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- We cannot accept returns on items damaged through normal wear and tear.
Please keep in mind that some policies may be different in our stores.